This flavoursome veggie sausage traybake with rich seasonal flavours makes a perfect heart-warming dinner
I love a traybake! They are so easy to bring together when you don’t have much time to spare and best of all it’s made all in one pan, so less washing up!
This veggie sausage, lentil, squash and apple traybake comes together in five minutes and can be on your table within fifty minutes. This may seem like a lot of effort, but once the chopping is done, just sit back and let the oven work its magic.
The veggie sausage, lentil, squash and apple traybake is full of hearty flavours and ingredients perfect for the colder months. With a combination of soft butternut squash and lentils which go so beautifully with the caramelised onions and apples, it’s sure to hit the spot.
This recipe is a generous portion size, so if you have any leftovers why not store them in an airtight container and freeze for another day or keep them in the fridge for a couple of days. Reheat in the oven on a low heat.
There are just so many types of vegetarian and vegan sausages to choose from so I suggest using whichever you prefer but just double check the cooking method on the packaging.
For this particular veggie sausage, lentil, squash and apple traybake I chose to use a mix of vegetarian sausages:
- Lincolnshire vegetarian sausages by Cauldron.
- Already seasoned with sage and pepper, which only adds to the rich flavours in this recipe.
- Quorn Vegetarian Best Of British Sausages
- Meat free savoury flavour sausages, made with mycoprotein
Both brands like Linda Mccartney (another favourite), can be oven cooked. This means that this dish can truly be a one-pan wonder. Simply place them on top of the vegetables as per the instructions below.
However, if you choose another brand that needs to be pan-fried, simply cook them separately whilst your veggies are roasting. Just read the recommended cooking advice on the package and either cook separately and add at the end or after step 3 in the instructions below.
You could of course use meat sausages for this recipe as well if you would prefer. Again these can be cooked in the oven with the vegetables, however, you may just need to increase your cooking time.
What you will need for the veggie sausage, lentil, squash and apple traybake
- You can’t have sausages without onions.
- Slowly roasted to bring out all their natural sweetness.
- Butternut Squash
- Gives you a whopping dose of vitaman A alongside lots of other vitamins and minerals
- Has a wonderful soft sweet nutty flavour and pair beautifully with the other inrgedients
- I sometimes cheat and use a packet of pre chopped butternut sqaush to save prep time
- Not just for a snack or sweet treat, they are delicious in savoury dishes too
- A brilliant source of fiber and vitamin C.
- I used a mix of red and green
- I use a either a pouch or tin of prepared puy or green lentils (depends whats in the cupboard)
- Great source of protein, fiber and B vitamins
- Help to make this a hearty and filling dinner
- Veggie sausages
- There is a huge choice of veggie or vegan sausages so use whichever you prefer.
- I used the Lincolnshire vegetarian sausages by Cauldron as they are already seasoned with sage and pepper
- Fresh Sage
- Not essential but definitely gives this dish an extra boost
A low carb-count, all in one dinner. The lentils and butternut squash are full of fibre and help to make this a super filling dinner that you may find you don’t want additional carbs. However, we do and enjoy a smaller portion of potatoes, boiled roasted or mashed, which are all delicious serving options
The overall carb count for a serving of this veggie sausage, lentil, squash and apple traybake based on the ingredients we would count (apples):
Raw Apples = approx 550g – 55g of carbs
Divide this by the serving size, 4 – 55/4 = 14g of carb per serving
This is just an approximation based on the ingredients we need to count for, but yours may be different. As always you know best what you need to count.