What to do with a glut of peppers but whip up a batch of delicious vegetarian chilli with green pepper and lentils for a quick and easy mid-week meal.
I love chilli, particularly a vegetarian chilli! I think it’s such a winning combination of flavours and textures to enjoy with rice, tacos or even a jacket potato. What’s even better is that there really aren’t any rules, you can literally do a sweep of your fridge and use up any leftover veg and peppers of any colour if you so wish.
This recipe for vegetarian chilli with green pepper and lentils gives you the basics so you can have the freedom to swap out or in any veg for a great slightly spicy meal. The sauce with the beans and lentils make for a brilliantly delicious vegetarian and vegan-friendly dish that is packed full of protein, fibre minerals and nutrients.
What you will need for vegetarian chilli with green pepper and lentils
- Green Peppers
- you can of course use any colour pepper but I love the extra tartness of a green pepper against the smokey sweet paprika flavours in this dish
- No chilli dish is complete without soft sweet onions
- Paprika – Sweet, smoked and original
- peppers in its powdered form
- the combination gives a greater peppery depth to this dish
- Chipotle paste
- Adds extra spice and smokiness.
- Use as much as you like, I only do a small amount as my girls find it too spicy otherwise
- Tinned tomatoes
- A brilliant source of the antioxidant lycopene, which has been linked to many health benefits as well as vitamin C and K
- I really like the tinned cherry tomatoes but if I don’t have any then I use chopped
- a nutritional superstar rich in plant-based protein, full of fibre and nutrients
- give a nutty taste and a nice grainy texture to the dish
- Red Kidney Beans
- No chilli would be complete without them
- Also a nutritional superstar rich in plant-based protein, full of fibre and nutrients
- Green lentils
- Great source of protein, fiber and B vitamins
- Also helps to thicken the sauce
A brilliant all in one dish with zero carb counting requirements that is super filling. Serve with any carbs of your choice if you so wish!